background

Friday, July 15, 2011

Odd and Ends

It's been a while since I posted.  Since returning from Hawaii, time has literally flown!  Less than a week after returning from the Aloha state, I packed up and headed to San Antonio for a conference.  I was invited to give a talk there and also was presenting a poster with a colleague.  It was a great excuse to go shopping since I needed a suit in which to present and a fabulous dress in which to attend the Dean's dinner. :) The meeting was WONDERFUL!  My presentations went well and I ran into lots of colleagues and professors from North Carolina.  Even at the age of 34 it is still so heart warming when someone who taught you smiles and says, "I am so proud of you".  Friends from my graduating class are scattered across the states and it was a blast catching up with them and learning what they are doing. 

On a sad note, my grandfather passed away while I was at the meeting.  My father called at 6AM the morning of my talk.  I was already up and nervously getting ready when I heard the news.  My grandfather was a neat person - he was a physician, husband, father of three, grandfather, and a great grandfather.  He was 94 years old when he died and had been blessed with a good long life.  Unfortunately, I was in San Antonio without my passport and was unable to get from there back home to get my passport and then to Canada where he was living.  Therefore, I missed the funeral, and as Forest Gump would say, "That's all I have to say about that."

Swimming is still going strong at our house (picture below).  The kids have two weeks left.  As swimming is winding down, school excitement is building.  I am so excited for my oldest to start kindergarten in the fall and about the teachers my younger two are going to have this year!  Each new year brings exciting changes and new challenges and I look forward to what lies ahead!

As for me, I have a triathlon this weekend.  I don't feel ready because of all the traveling I have been doing, Oh well - I suppose I'll find out tomorrow... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment