background

Saturday, January 26, 2013

A New Year and Lots of Changes

Happy 2013 everyone!  Although we are only a few weeks into the new year, it is already shaping up to be a year of changes.

Our family enjoyed a few weeks of down time over the holidays including a trip to Tennessee to visit family.  We had a great time despite my parents and husband contracting the flu and being sidelined by sickness for a couple of weeks.  While I never got the full blown flu, I did get a nasty cough that lingered for a week or so.  Here are a few pictures from our trip.

Our trip was very special although we did not know it at the time because it was the last time any of us would see my grandfather.  My father's parents were a close part of our family when I was growing up because they lived with us for about 3- 6 months out of every year from the time I was in elementary school.  While he had lived a good, long (94 years!) life, his presence will be missed.  I loved him dearly.

My grandfather led a fairly exciting life - one I have a hard time imagining considering the tiny, mild mannered person he was the last decade or so of his life.  His first career was in the Indian media as a radio reporter who was a follower of Gandhi.  He was a young adult during one of the most tumultuous times in Indian history when the people were fighting for their independence from England.  He never talked much about it but I know that he was a passionate freedom fighter who was tortured for his beliefs.  I asked to see the scars on his back more than once but he always politely declined to show them to me stating, "some things are better left alone". 

Post-liberation he was politically active holding several positions in the newly formed government and ending his career in academia as a chancellor (president) of a university.  Studying world politics and history were two of his hobbies.  An avid reader, he could start a thick book in the morning and be mostly done by sunset.  He taught me how to play chess, cards, and watched my swim meets and soccer games with a gentle smile on his face.  If I performed poorly, I could count on him for encouragement and support.  Although the British couldn't tame him, the flu got him in the end.  Thankfully his death was quick and peaceful.   I'll miss him but am so thankful that I was able to hug him and kiss his forehead just a few days before he passed away. 

In other news with our family, my husband heard this week that he was accepted into the executive MBA program and will start classes this summer.  I am so proud of him and admire his love of education.  In addition, I should hopefully know in the next few months whether I will be promoted to Associate professor.  The kids are happily into the swing of the school where learning, friends, and activities bring them home tired but content each day.  My oldest is doing 2 new activities in addition to swimming and karate this semester: art club and math/science club.  Both are right up his alley since he prefers to exercise his brain more than his body.  My girl, who unlike her brother, prefers physical over mental exercise, started swimming this winter and is also continuing her much loved gymnastics class and her not-so-loved-but-parent-mandated karate class. :)  Her new activity this semester is an after school sports club.  Both older kids will play ball this spring.  My baby is holding his own with a few pre-school sports and enrichment activities.  We are blessed.  Hope your 2013 is off to a great start!






No comments:

Post a Comment